What precautions are you taking during COVID-19?
Visits from family members and friends are dependent on the CDC guidelines. We deliver lunch and mail to Independent Living residents. The minimum stay for Respite Care is two weeks during this time. Socially safe distancing practices are in place.
All staff are screened daily with a temperature check. Separate break rooms have been established to keep everyone at a safe distance. We’ve limited non-clinical team members from visiting floors.
After I submit my application, how long does it take to hear back from Brooks-Howell?
Once we have all of your documents, you’ll hear back from us within 24-48 hours.
What eligibility requirements are in place to qualify for Independent Living?
We review the following:
- Deaconesses or missionaries related to the Women’s Division of the Board of Missions of the Methodist Church as of 1964 or a missionary of the Evangelical United Brethren Church commissioned before Union in 1968. (Those with more than 15 years of service may be eligible for special rates.)
- Individuals must be at least 62 years of age. If a couple, one must meet one of the criteria below and be at least 62 years of age.
- United Methodist members who have served the church for 10 years
- Deaconesses, Home Missioners, and Missionaries
- United Methodist Women Staff
- United Methodist Women Directors
- United Methodist Church and Community Workers
- Scarritt-Bennett Colleges/Center personnel and staff
- GBGM mission personnel and staff
- United Methodist National Mission Institution personnel and staff
- Volunteers in mission personnel and staff
- Volunteers in mission with 10 or more years of volunteer service
- Church World Services personnel and staff
- Members of other mission boards with United Methodist relationships
- United Methodist clergy and spouses
- Brooks-Howell staff who worked for Brooks-Howell 10 or more years and retired in good standing
- Applicants from other denominations approved by Brooks-Howell on a case-by-case basis
- Referrals from other residents, board members, or staff
What eligibility requirements are in place to quality for Respite and Long and Short-term Skilled Care?
Anyone is qualified to apply. Residents don’t have to be affiliated with a particular denomination or faith tradition.
Will I need to furnish and decorate my new residence?
You can enjoy decorating and furnishing your Independent Living residency. Respite and Long and Short-term Skilled Care rooms are completely furnished.
Can I smoke on campus?
For our residents and staff’s safety and well-being, Brooks-Howell is a non-smoking campus.
Can I bring a car and park on campus?
Yes. Many residents enjoy experiencing the neighborhoods around our campus and catching a view of the Blue Ridge mountains’ picturesque scenes.